A Tail of 4 Paws is dedicated to placing our adopted dogs into the best suited loving forever family.
We begin each dog’s journey by rescuing dogs out of various municipally run animal control shelters. We work closely with Union County Animal Control in Southern Illinois as well as local Animal Controls in the Will County area.
Our dogs are next placed in a loving foster family where they get acclimated to living in a home environment and their personalities emerge and are evaluated. Our foster homes are dedicated to learning about each dog’s own personalities as well as training the dogs to become family pets. We work with dogs on house training, crate training, basic commands, and try to identify and remedy any negative behaviors.
IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN ADOPTING ONE OF OUR DOGS:
We have a thorough screening process to ensure that all of our dogs are placed in loving homes and that the families are matched to the right personality and temperament to their lifestyle.
1. Please fill out an application, this will let us know which of our dogs you are interested in, and will help us get to know you better.
2. We will call you to discuss the dog you are interested in, and will setup a time to meet at a mutually convenient time and location.
3. Upon initial meeting, we ask that you bring any existing dogs you own to meet on neutral territory to evaluate how the dogs will get along.
4. If you decide you want to continue the adoption process after meeting the dog, we will set up a home visit to be sure the dog will fit into the adopting families lifestyle.
5. If the home visit goes well, we ask the adopters to spend a night or two thinking about their final decision to adopt. We want all of our adoptions to last forever so potential adopters should always consider the commitment they are making, both financially and emotionally.
– We will contact your listed veterinarian to be sure all pets in the home are up date on vaccinations and spayed/neutered
– Although our process is thorough, we do find it assists us in making lifelong matches with families and pets
– When our dogs are adopted, we like to stay in touch with their families so we can help with the adjustment period as the dog settles in, and any questions/concerns you have as the dog starts their new journey. Not to mention we LOVE getting updates!